Forums » Suggestions & Feature requests

Detect when a visitor is actually chrome doing a screenshot for "most visited" functionality, and remove it like you do search bots.

Over the last few months I have noticed a handful of people on googl chrome visiting my website (justindocanto.com), as well as a few clients sites, multiples times a day for under 10 seconds at a time.

at first, i thought.. oh, their just bounced users! nbd!

turns out some of them are not just bounced users. they're actually google chrome's screen-shotting functionality for the "top sites" section you see when you open a new window or tab.

i figured this out when 2 people i was able to get in touch with (my grandma and somebody at media temple) visited my site at the same time, over 15 times in 1 hour!

after asking some questions, that's when i realized google chrome is screen shotting my website(s) for their "top sites" section (the one that displays thumbnails of your top sites) when you open the browser or open a new tab.... if you have it enabled. this is awesome and all... but it's screwing up my statistics and ratios!

I'm familiar with user-agent strings... but i dont have the time atm to look up if the screenshot functionality of google chrome has a slightly modified user-agent that you guys might be able to detect this and not display the hit in get clicky.

i would think that this kind of traffic would fit into the same category of search bots panning through your site, that you already ignore... and this should be ignored too.

let me know if you guys implement this or not.

thanks!
Justin

Posted Fri Jan 13 2012 3:10p by justindoc***

Wow, Sorry for the bad grammar & spelling! It's been a long day! I think you'll get my point though.

Posted Fri Jan 13 2012 3:16p by justindoc***

We're actually working on something related to this soon. I don't think we'll be filtering them out because well we already filter out enough noise that makes people think Clicky is inaccurate (e.g. tons of bots that other services happily log). But... we will be adding some kind of flag to them so you'll know they aren't "real" visits.

Posted Mon Jan 16 2012 11:35a by Your Friendly Clicky Admin

Awesome. Thank you very much clicky. <3

Posted Mon Jan 16 2012 11:36a by justindoc***

btw. if youre planning on displaying all the noise you filter out that would be awesome. google bots, random russian hackers, etc. haha =)

Posted Mon Jan 16 2012 11:43a by justindoc***

You must be logged in to your account to post!